Saturday 5 May 2018

I hit the jackpot


I am a bit late with this post...but I really wanted to include it, so apologies for travelling a few months back in time after finishing my course.

As a rule i never win anything, from gambling on the course de trot too raffle tickets. Before Christmas 2017 there was a fete in aid of charity, several charities at Lapeyre. One of them being the Lannemezan refuge for dogs Les Potes a Pouf. I had already bought several tickets from my tennis partner so was not able to be persuaded by Jayne an avid and ardent supporter of the refuge to buy some more, even though, of course an admirable  cause. I thought nothing of it, i threw the tickets away. I had glimpsed at the prizes some jolly good sporting creative types giving their time up... or freebies or part deals for something in support  of charity, but not much that rocked my boat...should i even win of course?

Just before Christmas i got a call from Jayne to say that i had won something in the raffle, i was excited just because i had won something. When Jayne actually told me what i had won i was super super excited. If i had to vote for anything on that list of fifteen prizes this was meant for me.

I gave up pottery about thirteen years ago when my mum was diagnosed with cancer for the second time. I was devastated and could not concentrate and decided not to continue. It was hard enough concentrating on the day job.
....Mum always enjoyed anything that i made and bought back, but that's why mums or should i say my mum was great!

We had dad out for Christmas so i asked if i could take a rain check on the three free sessions i had won, no problem just book in with Mollie when you are ready. Another lovely lady also affiliated with 
the dogs had already offered to take me there as it is a good fifty minutes away and she happens to pass through Castelnau, a win win situation.

Mollies beau vase
Mollie was like a breath of fresh air for me, i went with preconceived ideas in terms of design, i have always liked doing my own thing. I think it comes from thirty years of being rail-roaded in design and creating what other people want...or perhaps i am just a bit of a rebel. I think mum would agree with the latter.

I listened to what Molly had to say about my first project obviously she was getting me to maximise in what i might take home after three sessions, in case i did not want to come back. I had given her a few thumbs up on what i liked, outdoors and gardening. My first project was cane stoppers, after that i never bought designs for different projects of my own. I was happy to listen to new projects suggested, Mollie is a highly creative talented lady full of energy and lots of ideas of her own. All of the methods i was taught over the next three sessions were nothing i had seen or learnt before, that was with looking at other peoples projects as well. Mollie inspired me and fired me up to give it another go.

creative Lili, sorting her ducks in a row
the gorgeous Jumbles, a catalan berger cross
project totem from Mollie, interpreted by Lili
before the glaze fat Robin and little Wren
Jumbles asleep in the studio
the talented Max adding his painted glazes to Mollies pottery
Anne making a remarkable copy of the salt cellar  that sadly her dogs demolished
P's finished poppy seed cane toppers
....more of Mollie!
some of Mollies other wonderful students


 Mollie pins more inspiration on her board for the next project

fat robin etc glazed and ready for firing

Our class was i think made of about twelve, including Anne and I. Rosemary and Lili i already knew. A class full of friendly strangers all keen to follow a plan albeit with their own creative bent on how to make their creative masterpiece with suggestions from Mollie. Then there was Jumbles a creative handsome butternut colour version of Milou, how could i not fall in love...and as for Mollies cakes, at half time with tea!!!

nothing beats Mollies ginger cake ...for me that is!
Great fun, and very great value..even if you had not won the raffle! I booked another three lessons and at some point i hope to go back.

Thanks Mollie x






No comments:

Post a Comment